Friday, February 11, 2011

Shabby Chic Embroidered Pillow

This is a pillow that is winging it's way to Istanbul, Turkey, made for my friend, Rengin Yazitas.
Rengin has a new home by the sea and loves blue. I wanted her to have a vintage cushion for her studio. I have no blue fabric in my stash. The one piece of blue fabric, used in the crazy quilting, is an old piece of hand-stamped periwinkle blue from a Mennonite estate.
The pillow represents Egypt's Independence, as I was watching history unfold while assembling this cushion.
The piece is approximately 12"x16". I used simple crazy quilt stitches over each seam in the fabric. The embroidery is beautiful and probably done in the 1950's. I've place a small vintage image label on the back of the cushion.

Can't you see a day bed with a white chenille spread, covered with embroidered cushions?
Will create more of these and put them onto my new Etsy site "OldElements" which is under construction.

10 comments:

Willa said...

I just love your inventiveness Vic! I have some old embroidery with ideas to re-purpose them but haven't embarked upon it yet. I also love the names you give to things..like your blog and etsy shops. It's just sooo Vic...or is that Wic? hehe!

FredaB said...

Vickie I am sure Rengin will just treasure this pillow.

Goes to show you what can be done with old vintage pieces. Beautiful.

Hugs

FredaB

Tammy said...

Wow- she will love this! It is just a beauty...
smiles...Tammy
I am so enjoying browsing your site.

Victoria Adams Brown said...

Thank you Willa! I so appreciate your comments. And "Wic" certainly works for me!

Victoria Adams Brown said...

Freda,
Thank you. It is the best fun to repurpose old embroidery.

Victoria Adams Brown said...

Tammy, thank you for checking out my blog!

Anonymous said...

Oh Vickie! What a beautiful present you have embroidered for your friend. I feel certain she will really treasure it. Oh yes, I can certainly imagine chenille-covered day bed festooned with embroidered cushions and pillows - gorgeous.
Hugs Jo xx

Pamela Kellogg said...

Oh, what a lovely pillow! Gorgeous actually!!! Rengin will love it!

Victoria Adams Brown said...

Jo, thank you for visiting my blog. Pillows are one of my favorite items to create!

Victoria Adams Brown said...

Pam, thank you! Your work is stunning!