Wednesday, January 18, 2012

January CQ Journal Project block work in progress

I believe I am addicted to apricot and peach colorways.
I found a stack of fabric bits of Japanese brocades that I acquired from an antique dealer 20 years ago.
Time to use the fabrics! The wall-hanging will be hung in a stairwell with mocha walls. The major embellishments for all the blocks will be old brass buttons and lace.

This is a close-up of embellishing I've begun on one of 12 blocks that I'm assembling for the crazy quilt project hosted by Kathy Shaw. To view crazy quilt blocks that offer an abundance of inspiration, visit  ~ http://www.cqjp2012.blogspot.com/


You will be enchanted!

The fabric colors for all the blocks are apricot, crimson, roses, gold, honey, melon, blues and purples in silk doupioni and silk velvet.
In this piece, I've made a velvet flower surrounded by brass buttons. I've added silk satin tendrils on two seams. I've dyed the velvet and silk satin using RibbonSmyth Rainbow dyes using Antique Gold, Brown and Crimson.

I've begun to add beads around a silk ribbon-wrapped ring.

2 comments:

Mosaic Magpie said...

What beautiful fabrics you have chosen. Too funny that you had them for 20 years! They are too pretty to have been in hiding that long. I hope you back is feeling better and I almost forgot, I love that ribbon wrapped ring!
Deb

Marjolein said...

Beautiful colors, vintage, romantic.