Thursday, June 18, 2009

Silk Ribbon Stems

Here is a quick and easy method for creating stems for our silk ribbon flowers. The flowers are "fantasy flowers" meaning I make them up as I go! I used RibbonSmyth 7mm variegated silk ribbon color #1201124 and just created a few straight stitches. This ribbon color is one of my favorites, as this color goes with everything! I selected a moss green silk ribbon in 4mm for the stems. Make the two flowers, then bring the 4mm green silk ribbon up through the fabric at the base of the flower and twist the ribbon tightly. This creates a great stem. Couch the stem with champagne Nymo and take the ribbon through to the back of the fabric and tie off. The pic of the silk flowers are a bit "squished" by the scanner, so the dimension cannot be seen. I added small metallic seed beads at the top of each flower. I made the little metallic rose medallion out of polymer clay and tinted with pearl expigments and then added a bit of our gold glitter on top of the pearl-ex. I placed that inbetween the two flowers to create the collage.
Sprayed the polymer clay with a light coat of acrylic spray.

No comments: