Sunday, April 15, 2012

Chihuly Art Glass


Last Week we were in St. Petersburg, Florida.
We attended a banquet at The Vinoy Renaissance and in the banquet hall was the most amazing Chihuly chandelier, that must have been twenty feet in length. We were in a ballroom that was restored to its turn-of-the-century beauty and the Chihuly glass melded beautifully with the decor. And I took several photos with my phone, which did not begin to do the piece justice. Across the street from the hotel, was a Chihuly exhibit. I was allowed to photograph pieces displayed in the gift shop. Please visit http://www.chihuly.com/ to be inspired.
I remember the first pieces of Chihuly I saw, were on the ceiling at the Bellagio in Las Vegas, Nevada. The reception area is filled with massive art glass flowers.
At this exhibition, the most striking display, was a room, completely dark, except for an old wooden row boat. And the boat was filled with blown glass orbs in sizes ranging from 8 inches in diameter up to 18 inches in dameter in every color and finish you could imagine. And of course, no photos were allowed.


2 comments:

Lelia said...

I have not been to the banquet hall;however, did visit the Chihuly gallery ... so interesting to see the modern glass.

so much to see in the galleries, and the ceilings with glass objects were colorful and interesting.

Victoria Adams Brown said...

I stay in awe how anyone can form glass into such massive shapes with such brilliant colors. It is a feat of engineering in assembling the pieces. I think we were lucky to visit the gallery!