Sunday, June 12, 2011

Beaded Cuff Bracelet in Progress

This is a work-in-progress that I started last night. Seems most all my designs begin on Saturday night!
This is a birthday present for a friend that has a teeny tiny wrist. I'm off to see if I can find black beads. I've started the beaded picot stitch with a metallic bead but thinking black beads might be the ticket. I have a beautiful French black jet button I will use for the toggle. And I've started to add an elastic loop for the toggle instead of the beaded ones. The elastic gives that 1/4" "give" although asthetically I prefer a beaded loop. I used a  pretty rust suede leather for the back. Years ago I was designing pieces for  a leather company  in another life, and they sent me large pelts of various leathers.  I was designing Native American pieces for magazine articles and advertising. The leather is so soft.

My friend wanted her bracelet to be designed in orange.  I use men's ties for the base fabrics and after a bit of searching, found a great 1960's men's rayon tie with just the right amount of orange.  On the East Coast, we  wear lots of black and I think this cuff will look great with a black turtleneck. I know orange is a trending color and the last time I can remember orange being so popular, was back in the 1980's.



4 comments:

Socrates said...

Beautiful work. What patience to do all that hand beading! Your friend will love it.

Victoria Adams Brown said...

Thank you! These are so much fun to make - or relaxing, to simply be still for a couple of hours and add the little beads, usually with the help of a puppy and a couple of kitties. The bracelet looks different now with the black beads.

shirley said...

Lovely beading, and great design. The idea of using men's ties is clever. I am sure your friend will love this and it will go with so many things.

Anne said...

I love the improvement with the black beads. I cannot wait to see this cuff completed, I guess it will look gorgeous! Congratulations Victoria.