Thursday, June 2, 2011

Wire-edge Rose Pillow for Sendai


This is the completed pillow that I made for Hideko's auction in Sendai.
The morning glory print is made from a vintage 1880's seed packet label that I found in Harrisburg, PA. I fused the fabric label to emerald green velvet.

I made each of the wire-edge ribbon roses and leaves from ribbon I purchased in Paris. Each of the roses are attached to the fabric, and with the palm of my hand, "squished" the roses flat and then tacked the edges of the roses to the fabric. By flattening the ribbon roses, the overall appearance has more of a vintage flair. I attached fabric strips of deep emerald damask fabric, cut from vintage dinner napkins, to the velvet. Added   feather-stitching using Scalamandre tassel silk thread from Brazil and  then embellished with seed beads. Beads were added among the wire-edge ribbon roses, that are old pre-war German plastic flowers and vintage Czech leaves and glass flowers. Then French knots made using RibbonRuffles were stitched among the beads and flowers. The tassel braid is some I gathered at the Scalamandre factory in Queens. There are two bags of fiberfil in this pillow. It's a bit "hefty"!  I used a deep emerald brocade fabric with an Asian print, that I found in a little fabric store in Paris, for the cushion back. Can't wait for Hideko to see it!

4 comments:

Suztats said...

Wow! Beautifully rich and a gorgeous feast for the eyes!

Victoria Adams Brown said...

Suztats ~ thank you. It was a great piece to design, as it took on a life of its own as it came into it's physical form.

Unknown said...

Vickie, beautiful as usual!

Victoria Adams Brown said...

Donna, thank you for checking it out. Fun to work with those wire-edge ribbons. I see this pillow and I know where all my recent Saturday nights went!